DS Appliance, the School of Information Studies Data Science Appliance is a Virtual Machine you run from your own Windows, Linux or Mac Computer. It contains software packages and applications we’ll use in this course, thereby eliminating the need for you to perform cumbersome and frustrating setups on your personal computer.
You can download the Virtual Machine here:
R1: “Balmy-Batman” (1/26/2016)
This section convers the requirements for the Data Science Appliance and includes setup instructions for downloading it to your computer.
The virtual appliance requires 2GB of RAM and 30GB of Disk space. It is recommended your computer has at minimum 4GB RAM and 40GB free disk space. Make sure your computer meets these requirements before you begin.
The Data Science Appliance runs on Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.0 or higher. Setup of VirtualBox is straightforward.
Downloading The Appliance
To Setup the DS Appliance:
- Download the Ds Appliance zip file (information under Current Release section)
dsappliance-r#.zipto the file
- Start VirtualBox
- From the menu, select File –> Import Appliance
- From the Appliance to Import screen, select the
dsappliance-r#.ovafile you downloaded in the first step.
- Click Next and then Finish to start the import.
- Relax! It might take a few minutes to import the appliance.
- When complete, start the virtual appliance.
What’s On The Appliance?
The following Software Applications are on DS Appliance:
- Ubuntu Linux 14
- Python Programming
- R Programming
- SQL / Database
- Other Applications