Setup Your Github Account
In this course we will use Github several times each week as you submit your labs and homework. Github for Education is a free service for educational use. Git gives to the benefit of code backups and an “undo” button in the event you accidentally change or delete your code. There a small learning curve to Git and Github, but once you git the hang of it its far more efficient than using email or Blackboard to exchange code.
Before You Begin
- Make sure you know your NetID and SU Email address.
- You will need to set a username for GitHub. Please use yournetid-su. For example, my Github username would be mafudge-su.
- You will need to set a Github password. Please do not use your NetID password.
- Go to https://github.com/ and click on the Sign up button in the upper-right.
- THE PROFESSORS NEED TO KNOW ITS YOU! In the Username field enter your netid-su for example my GitHub username is mafudge-su.
- In the Email Address field enter your @syr.edu email, for example, I would enter firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the password field, enter anything you want. You should NOT use your NetID password here.
- Click Create Acccount to move on to the next step.
- Select the free plan. You will not need any other plan. click Continue.
- Now go to your @syr.edu email, and look for an email from GitHub.
- Click on the link in the email to verify your account.
- Congratulations! You have a Github account!
- Now help your professors out! Change your avatar to be a photo of yourself: https://help.github.com/articles/setting-your-profile-picture/