Course Setup Checklist
The following document outlines a step-by-step process of setting up your laptop and yourself for programming in this course.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON BYOD:
This course uses a BYOD (Bring your own device) model. As such you will be expected to install software on your personal laptop for use in the course. While this might seem intrusive, studies have shown that students:
- are more comfortable and at-ease learning on their own devices,
- prefer the convenience of mobility versus being tied to a computer lab and
- become more adept at operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting their own computers.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not (or cannot) install software on your own device, please have a conversation with your professor. We have alternative, cloud-based, options such as https://remotelab.ischool.syr.edu and Azure Notebooks which are more suitable for older computers and Chromebooks.
Steps Required To Setup
- First you will need to install Python and Git on your Laptop, Instructions here:
- Next you will need to sign-up for accounts with the following free cloud services.
- Finally when you Setup Github Classroom you will have access to all the code in the course!