IST718: Advanced Information Analytics
This course will prepare you to immediately participate as a Data Science team member on big data and data analytics projects. You will learn concepts and skills that are essential for managers of data analytics and business intelligence teams, as well as for database, data warehouse, and big data professionals.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Translate a business challenge into an analytics challenge;
- Deploy a structured lifecycle approach to data science and big data analytics projects;
- Analyze big data, create statistical models, and identify insights that can lead to actionable results;
- Use software tools such as R, SQL, Python and the Hadoop stack in database analytics;
- Select visualization techniques, communicate analytic insights to business sponsors, and others;
- Explain how advanced analytics can be leveraged to create competitive advantage;
- Define and distinguish a data scientist from a traditional business intelligence analyst.
Recommended (but not required) prerequisites include familiarity with command-line interfaces, basic quantitative skills, including elementary statistics, as well as basic programming skills in SQL and R/Python. The course provides hands-on labs for you to gain practical experience in all areas listed above.